Musicians, from classical orchestras to rock groups, are exposed to high decibel ranges. Hearing is important to the livelihood of a musician. Musical performance may create sounds loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss. Some hearing loss in musicians may be considered occupational hearing loss, and it may interfere with the musician’s ability to perform the daily tasks of his or her profession (Sataloff, 1991).
Musicians suffer not just from hearing loss but also a ringing in their ears and various pitch-perception problems. Music lovers should be modest in the length of time and level of loud music to which they expose their ears. Many performing musicians use ear monitors to regulate the levels of sound they absorb on the stage while performing.
In-ear monitors are devices used by musicians to listen to music or to hear a custom mix of vocals and stage instrumentation for live performance or recording studio mixing. They are often custom fitted for an individual’s ears and provide a high level of noise reduction from ambient surroundings. Depending on the quality of the fit and length of the ear canal, a custom fit in-ear monitor will generally provide somewhere between 25 and 35 dB of noise reduction.
Musicians who do not need amplified playback in their ears may benefit from custom-fitted musicians’ earplugs. These are non-electrical earplugs fitted with custom filters to make specific sounds in the music spectrum softer, while not compromising the overall musical experience. Ordinary ear plugs cut off high-frequency sounds, making voices muffled and the timbre of music dull. The natural sound from musicians’ ear plugs solves this problem by reducing the volume you hear without distorting the sounds.
Both in-ear monitors and musicians’ ear plugs can be custom made and fitted by a licensed hearing-care professional to each musician’s personal needs.
Sataloff, R.T. (1991). Hearing loss in musicians. American Journal of Otology, 12(2), 122-127.
Hearing Protection Products
Hunting, shooting, and sudden noise. A filter instantaneously closes when damaging noise levels are reached. Allows essentially normal hearing at all other times.
Ideal for performing musicians and concert-goers. Also great for flight attendants, bartenders, waiters, dental professionals. Allows wearer to hear sounds accurately but at reduced levels. Have 3 filter options: 9dB, 15dB or 25dB.
For swimming and showering – and they FLOAT! Also provide superb noise reduction.
For use with any bud/button style earphones.
- Amplification for situational awareness.
- Noise attenuation when you pull the trigger.
- Game mode: Optimized for intermittent shots.
- Clay mode: Optimized for continued shots.
- Normal mode: provides standard Digital 1 features.
- Wind Reduction mode: Ideal for shooting in windy conditions.
- Safe listening earphones for Kids: We offer headphones that are specifically made for children. They provide safe sound output while maintaining exceptional sound quality. By controlling earphone sensitivity, it is not necessary to restrict the volume setting on the player. Even at the maximum volume setting your child will be able to listen safely. And because these earphones block background noise, and provide high-definition sound quality, your child will be able to hear every detail, and won’t complain that the volume is too low.
- Custom swim molds: Children that are recovering from ear infections or ear surgery, as well as those with chronic conditions such as drainage, should keep their ear canals dry. Custom swim molds are Ideal for bathing, showering or swimming and can be ordered in a wide variety of colors and there is even a glitter option for that personalized touch.