Cochlear implants may be an option for any adult or child 12 months or older with a severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. A cochlear implant is a surgical treatment option intended to optimize understanding of speech and language when powerful hearing aids have not or cannot provide enough benefit. If you are interested in learning more about cochlear implants or to find out if you or a loved one is a candidate, Audiology Island provides Cochlear Implant evaluation services. The road to receiving a cochlear implant is a long one. It requires a full team of dedicated professionals to ensure that this surgical treatment option is the right one for you and your family.
What does a Cochlear Implant look like?
Cochlear Implant Services We Offer at Audiology Island:
- Candidacy Evaluation
- Cochlear Implant Fittings and Speech Mappings
- Maintenance and Adjustments
- Aural Rehabilitation
What does the Candidacy Evaluation Entail?
- A Comprehensive Audiological Assessment is necessary to determine if the hearing loss, judged by severity and type of loss, falls within candidacy guidelines
- The next step is to fit or to verify the fit of hearing aid technology (It is mandatory that any candidate for a cochlear implant has had a “best fit” hearing aid trial prior to implantation.)
- Speech Recognition performance will be assessed in a variety of contexts to determine the level of benefit obtained from the hearing aids. In the cases of prelingual infants, we will be looking at their responses to speech and the development of their age appropriate milestones.
- Finally, if the evaluation and hearing aid trial period appears to suggest that a cochlear implant is the best option, an extensive counselling session(s) is the final step. It is important for the patient and the family to understand what an important lifelong commitment it is to receive a cochlear implant. We will discuss the surgical procedure, potential risks and outcomes, manufacturers of the implant and finally what the rehabilitation and maintenance plan might look like. A huge factor in the decision to proceed with cochlear implantation is the level of family and patient motivation.
Manufacturers that we work with:
- Advanced Bionics is a cochlear implant manufacturer that offers a variety of different hearing solutions to fit your lifestyle. Advanced Bionics has partnered with Phonak to offer even more solutions for noise, the telephone and even offers the world’s first waterproof cochlear implant microphone.
- Cochlear Americas is a cochlear implant manufacturer responsible for developing the world’s first multi-channel cochlear implant. They continue their long history of hearing innovations today.
Who can benefit from a Cochlear Implant?
The effects of hearing loss can impact a person of any age, race or gender. At Audiology Island it is our job to help you navigate through some of the life changing decisions you will be faced with regarding your child’s future or even for yourself and your quality of life. We hope to be apart of that lifelong journey and to support you in your efforts to live a beautiful, color-filled life of sound.
We understand that it can be frustrating when you struggle to hear and communicate, even with hearing aids. Cochlear implants for adults should be considered when hearing aids are not enough for every day listening situations.
Hearing aids help people by making the sounds louder. However, as hearing loss progresses, sounds need to not only be made louder, they need to be made clearer. A Cochlear implant device can help give you that clarity, even in noisy environments. Cochlear implants bypass the damaged part of the ear, sending sound directly to the hearing nerve, where it’s relayed on to the brain. Cochlear device can bypass the damaged part of the ear, sending sound directly to the hearing nerve, where it’s relayed on to the brain.
It’s important to understand that in order to be able to hear better with your new cochlear implant, it will take time and will not happen overnight. Cochlear implant recipients should expect to make continual progress. Your progress with ear implants will depend on the technology used, your biology, and the education and practice after implantation. There are many types of cochlear implants that are available today, your audiologist will guide you through the process of choosing the right device.
Ask the Experts
Request Your Appointment
Once you’ve decided to take the journey of getting better hearing, our audiologists will help you determine if you’re a cochlear implant candidate by doing a thorough cochlear implant evaluation. The cochlear implant system you decide to go with is an important, lifelong decision that will affect every step of your journey to hearing. Call us today to schedule a consultation with our doctors of audiology who will help you make the right choice.